Open for any suggestions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellikipotter

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Puch (all models)
I'm looking to buy my first DS bike, but the age old question remains...

Which one to buy?

I have only owned plastic offroad bikes but I'm keen to expand the horizons a bit. The only DS bike I have ever ridden (on tar and gravel highway) is a 800GS and I though its pretty good, but for +/- R50 000 you can buy a very good XR or DR650.
I know the two thumpers are completely different from the GS but I'm putting them in the mix just because their so much cheaper.

I will use the bike for a short 15km commute but mainly to ride it anywhere I want to. At this stage I'm not planning to ride the bike all the way to Siberia, but I'm really keen for something like Lesotho. I know the BMW won't go everywhere the 650s can go but its a different type of excitement riding a "big" bike slowly through technical sections as to going balls-to-the-walls on a thumper.

What I like about the thumpers are that they are so basic and you can keep them forever as a 2nd play bike and have a more comfortable, bigger bike for longer journeys.

So the final question is. Do you think the GS will bore me after a month or so? What's the difference between the XR and the DR?