Ping Trailrider (and other Transalp 700 owners)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RooiPhilip

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Dear Mr. Trailrider

A friend of mine is looking to purchase himself a Honda Transalp 700, such as the one you have.

I am looking for an objective opinion with regard to the following:

1. I have read that the front suspension may need some firming up when intended for off road use. I see that you ride mostly gravel and off road. Have you had any work done on the front suspension?

2. There is also some critique about the ground clearance. I know that you have visited the Baviaans a few times, I have been there. So if it copes with the baviaans standard, I am guessing the ground clearance is not that big an issue.

3. 19" front and sand handling? Any comments? Does the suspension hold up under sandy conditions?

4. I ride a KTM 990, and the suspension in combination with the  21" front, really makes that bike a dream to ride at 120+ kph on dirt highways, even when slightly sandy. Look I don't expect the Transalp to handle better in very sandy terrain, the 19" front will make life more difficult. But honestly, when touring, I have had no incidents where the terrain was so technical, that a bike with a 21" front could go where the 19" couldn't. It just does so a bit easier. And I have done some miles, touring with an 1150 ADV.

5. The 130 rear tyre. Does it hold up in the corners? I remember my dakar with the 130 rear, and it wasn't that awesome to be honest. The 140s and 150 do much better in the corners on tarmac. Do you change to the 140 or 150 or do you ride it 130? I see you had the Heidi TKC combo on at one point. Any comments on that?

So I guess my question would be, since you have many kms worth of experience, riding your beloved Transalp, and the one before, is it a sensible buy for someone who does almost exclusively gravel.
Would it hold up, stock standard, suspension wise? Or would you recommend work being done in that regard?

How does the bike compare (handling wise) to other bikes sporting a 19" front, such as the 1150s and 1200s and ADV versions of those? Do you reckon it will keep up on gravel highway with nice big sand barriers? Or do you go for progressive fork springs and what not?

Anything else I need to know that I will not find in the reviews?