Pirelli Scorpion STR on 990- Really THAT good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster69

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I have only had EO7 on my ktm at the back, on my 3rd or 4th rear now. on the front I have had, TKC80, Mitas rockhopper? Michilin T63 and Anlas Capra X.

Currently running a EO7 rear and Anlas Capra X front. The EO7 I have on currently is the stupid previous design with the solid center strip. Although a very good tyre everywhere except wet tar I am willing to experiment on something new at the rear. I generally get about 6-7k km out of a EO7. What I am unsure about is what to do in the front. The Anlas Capra X has been the best tyre in front I have ever experienced on any bike. simply astounding, I have around 6500km on that front and still about 1000km left, the Anlas is just super amazing everywhere, leant over on tar through passes pushing it HARD, dirt, sand everywhere.. I don't know how they managed to design a tyre that grips like this, is stable, quiet and last this long. For anyone wanting to try something new, give Anlas Capra X a go, it is really that good. Also it lasts so long that the EO7 and the Anlas wear out at the same time which I very much like.

So my predicament: The new EO7 looks very good, chunkier. Do I stick to what works, EO7 + Anlas. Or do I give the STR a go, and then STR rear and Anlas front, or a full set STR.

What mileage can I expect on the STR rear? Are they as good as they are made out to be?

If anyone knows the EO7 and STR well please speak up.

I do mixed tar and dirt riding, I need good tar grip, mountain passes on the 990 is a treat when pushing it.. The dirt riding we do is fairly aggressive as well, (Baviaans, Die Hel and some higher speed dirt highways...

Looking forward to some lekker advice.