Please help - Opinions needed please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSDude

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
This is rather a lengthy read but PLEASE.

Opinions needed please.

What would some of you do if you were received this kind of service from a person.

The story is as follows.... I came across a KLR650 that still had to be re-built and decided to purchase it. The agreement was that the bike would take 6 weeks to complete. Now the person from whom I purchased the above mentioned bike is known for his extensive knowledge of KLR’s, so I foresaw no problems. Now my problem is that I trust people to easily.

4 weeks down the line from striking the deal I go and visit the seller just to see how the bike is doing and also to take a friends bike to him to have some things fixed. Just before we leave he (the seller) tells us that the bike will be ready the following weekend. WOW was my first thought, this is great I get to ride some dirt the same weekend, so I make some plans with people and my spirits are high.

I get there the following weekend and NOTHING. The bike is still in pieces. Not even a courtesy call to tell me that the bike is not ready. OK I’m a bit miffed but I let it go. He then tells me that it will be ready the following weekend. From the list of things that he mentioned needed to be done, I foresaw no problems.
Just to set the record straight, I have re-built a few bikes in my time and know what it takes to get the job done.

Anyhow, back to the problem. I make new arrangements to go and have fun with the bike and then (yes you got it) come collection day, No phone call from this person – the bike is still not ready when I go to collect.

I am now starting to get highly peeved. This is now the second time he has given me his word that the bike will be ready and it has not been, plus it is the second time that I have had to change my plans.

I let it go and wait patiently. 12 weeks in total go by before I can collect the bike. When I get there I see the bike standing outside. He starts it for me and it sounds great, nice and quiet for a KLR. I climb on the bike and pull the clutch in – OH what a lovely noise escapes the clutch cover housing. SOMETHING is wrong.... Now I forgot to mention that he mentioned to me that the bike was completely tested and everything was 100%. Please......

He then tells me that he never heard that noise, but I must leave the bike with him and collect it later that afternoon. No bloody way... I want the bike fixed the same day so I say NO and that we must strip it then and there and solve the problem. We do this and find that the inside casing has been ground away. Why????? It looks as if the incorrect clutch basket has been fitted and that a mod was attempted to make it work. My blood is about to boil but I say nothing other than “Lets fit another one and another side cover” he agrees and this ends up solving the problem.

YAY – my new_second hand bike is finally home. Sunday morning I take the bike to put fuel in, I pull out of my drive way and loe and behold, everything goes dead. I push the bike back into my garage and start looking for the fault. I find that every single electrical plug has not been clipped together correctly,. I fix the problem and off I go again. Get to the gas station and by chance have a look at the oil level looking glass. It’s WHITE. This tells me one thing, that water is leaking into the oil. I phone the seller and tell him about the problem. Not to worry he tells me, he will come and collect the bike on Wednesday and fix it. Wednesday comes and goes. Thursday he calls and tells me that he would like to collect it on Friday to fix. I say no problem but I need it back early, early Saturday morning as I have already made plans. Friday comes, he collects nice and early and we part ways. Friday night comes, no delivery of the bike so I call him. He SMS’s me back that delivery will be Saturday afternoon. No bloody way I tell him as I am taking the bike to have some fun on Saturday and that I need the bike at 06h30 Saturday morning.

He delivers the bike at the required time, stating that the bike is fixed and that he has tested it. I load the bike on the trailer and go leave for some fun. I get to my destination and offload the bike. Get kitted up and check the oil level glass, everything looks nice and clean.

Take the bike round the area a bit before I go out on the trail I was planning on having fun on. Thank goodness I stopped back at my campsite before I went out on the trail when my wife pointed out to me that the oil window was WHITE AGAIN.

I called the seller/re-builder and told him about the problem. He apologises and tells me that he will fix the problem the following day at my house this time. Ok I say still fuming.

Sunday I get home and send him an SMS. I get a reply that he is busy but will call me later. I bite my tongue and decide to start draining the oil out of the bike. Upon doing so I noticed that the sump plug was a stock standard 8.8 mild steel bolt and not a magnetic one that I paid for.

I have had it with the bike and the seller and now want my hard earned cash back. I sent him a lengthy SMS to which I have had no reply.

PLEASE HELP...... Am I wrong?

Latest posts