Pretoria - Loskopdam day trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houbie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
For a while now KLRChris keep moaning he doesn't get enough KLR time, so last week he decided we want to do a day trip of about 350km-450km. He never went to Loskop dam so suggested we do a day trip to Loskop. KLRChris is still a bit uncertain about gravel roads here in the Highveld, although he did do 100's of km on the dirt roads down in the Cape. So with this in mind I mapped us a route that will take us there not on the highway, but not too much gravel as well.

On Saturday the 19th we set of about 07:00 towards loskop via Hanstrydom Road (M10) and then taking the old Bronkhorstspruit route (R104). I decided not to go via Groblersdal so we continued on the R104 through Bronkhorstspruit intill we get the R545. Using google maps as my reference I did not realise the R545 north of the R104 was a gravel road, so when we got there the R104 stops and KLRChris did not want to take the N4 there for had no choice but to get a little dirty ;D The road turned out to be a really well maintained dirt road with puddles only here and there.
We continued till it makes a T with the R544. At the crossing was a tyre graveyard. There are shitloads of tyres thrown into ditches +-7m deep and 5m wide. Big, small,car,forklift you name it its all there some shot but others still in good condition. Anyhows we used the R544 till just before the Gauteng/Mpumalanga border and took a right.

Again on google maps its shows to be a tar road but its not instead it is possibly one of the lekkerste dirt roads in this country. The road it nice with technical bits here and there and the scenery is really really nice. It is the type of dirt road that allows you to open your machine up and really test you skills as you find lose rocks and dongas around every third bend, although it is forgiven enough to let riders like KLRChris have just as much fun as the more experienced rider. I must just ad a BIG UP to Chris for Manning up and not complain about any of the gravel roads we took  :thumleft: At the dam we had a small break with some refreshments.

Unfortunately I had to work at that nights soccer mach between Supersport U and Maritzburg so we just took the N11 to Middelburg and then the N4 back to PTA. All and All it was about 405km and one of the best daytrips I ever had.

Thanks Chris for arranging this trip. Dit was lekker ou maat :ricky:
Here are some pics of the route.
Photo01.jpg

Photo02.jpg

Photo03.jpg

Photo04.jpg

Photo05.jpg

Photo06.jpg

Photo07.jpg

Photo08.jpg

Photo09.jpg

Photo010.jpg