Q&A with Erick Buell and Engineers about the Ulysses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Gents hope you all wellâ?¦.

I have read a couple of threads on this forum on the Buell Ulysses and would like to share some of the FAQ.  I posted a question on BRA (Buell Riders Association) forum on the topic of water crossing.  â??alanmâ? went and did some homework and came back with some interesting stuff.  Erick Buell and all the engineers who designed and built the Ulysses hat an online Q&A session with customers and this is what some of the responses were:

The engineers: Erik Buell Chairman and Chief Technical Officer
Dan Hurda Lead Powertrain Engineer
Jon Bunne Test Engineer Manager
Tony Stefanelli Director XB Platform
John Fox Lead Design Engineer
Abe Askenazi Director of Analysis, Test and Engineering Process

Abby23: Is Ulysses a better street bike or off road bike?
Erik: It is definitely more street oriented, just great on paved roads. It is fun on unpaved, but at a slower pace!

360eddy: Is the muffler able to work under water?
Jon: Actually the muffler works even better under water - the bike gets a little quieter! In testing and development we have parked bikes in water completely covering the muffler, started them and ridden out of the water with no problems. Trust me, stream crossing will not be a problem for Ulysses.

firstbuell: Any factory interest in supporting a Ulysses-based effort in the Baja [or similar off-road] races?
Erik: We will not have a direct factory team, but we certainly expect some of our dealers and owners to choose to compete with Ulysses. Hope you are one of them!

KTM_950_Rider: I understand the trilogy of tech and keeping the weight low, but is there any future provision for a muffler/skidplate thatâ??s durable for fire road use and gravel abuse?
Erik: It's already there. The muffler on the XB was originally designed as a jack point, so it is very sturdy. One part to do two or more jobs is our philosophy!

Dewey: Read about the steering lock...is it going to be ok off road?
Erik: I've ridden the bike around my XR100 track on my farm, which is tight as heck through the trees, and it is slippery and off camber. I never noticed the steering lock. But, when you are in dead stop, turn around situations you can't turn as tightly. And if you are in full lock Chris Carr type power slides, you won't be able to get quite as sideways. However, unless you are Chris Carr, that's probably a good thing! Actually, on bikes aimed at road riding, having less steering lock than a dirt bike is the norm, because of the trouble you can get in if the front end turns too far at speed. Not bad on a 220 lb. dirt bike, but kind of overwhelming on a 500 lb. one!

Revin: I'm 6' 5" and I love Buell, but will this bike really fit me?!
Abe: This bike will fit you great! The seat is taller, the pegs are lower, the handlebars are very comfortably placed, and the knee pockets are more accommodating to long legs. Check it out at your local dealer!

aceshigh1972: How durable will the alloy wheels be, and will they be able to handle off-pavement user?
Jon: We have changed the design by increasing the rim profile for added strength over the standard XB wheels. We did this to add durability for off-pavement use. Our testing (both in the lab and in the real world) shows them to hold up very well. We know how we compare to the competition on strength and we are way lighter too.

steve: How well is that radical front rotor going to deal with mud, dirt, water -
Erik: In all our testing it did very well. The leading edge is hidden by the wheel rim, so it is actually less vulnerable to rock damage than conventional.

DAve: The XB12X appears to have been developed to go head to head with the Triumph Tiger, Mutistrada, V-Strom or other similar bike. What was the benchmark with the XB12X and what were the core design goals/parameters of the XB12X?
Abe: We set out to develop a very capable adventure sportbike. Hence, we benchmarked more dedicated adventure bikes such as the GS1200 and the KTM Adventure, as well as more sporty types such as the V-Strom and the Multi-strada. We feel that we hit the perfect balance between the two - delivering a bike that's fantastic on the twisties, comfortable on the highway, and extremely capable off pavement!

steve: Are there going to be any cooling issues if the Ulysses is ridden at low speeds for lengths of time, trail riding for example. Thank you!
Dan: None whatsoever. We have done extensive testing on the Ulysses in hot weather. Part of our testing includes extended low speed riding and extended idle in 100+ degree ambients. I saw more 100 degree July days in the desert that I ever hope to again to be sure you'll have no overheating problems.

steve: Does the appearingly short wheelbase make the Ulysses "wheelie prone"? If loaded with rearward bags, this might be more concerning, is it anything to be concerned with?
Tony: The XB platform's inherently low center of gravity combined with the Ulysses longer wheelbase makes it easy to handle - even with the bags loaded to capacity. Ride it with confidence.

VMXMAN: I picked up my new Ulysses on Monday. I noticed the aux fan operates most of the time while riding. Is the fan designed to run that much?
Erik: Yes, the fan is used to keep the engine at an optimum temperature to help with emissions, and also to add extra oil cooling when the bike is moving slowly or shut off. As the bike breaks in it will run a little less, though

gadams1515: Hello to everyone there. My question: During the testing of the Ulysses, did the bike ever get ridden through a stream, and if so, how did the muffler handle the water? I am wanting to buy an adventure bike to ride on the trail from Mexico to Canada, and to do that I first have to be able to ride it from New Hampshire to the border of Mexico. I would love to be able to do that on an American bike. From what I understand, the Ulysses is better off road than the BMW 1200 GS.
Abe: Testing for Ulysses was expanded beyond the already grueling testing weâ??ve been performing for all XB models to include many miles of gravel, fire roads and water crossings as part of our everyday Ulysses durability testing. In addition to all the high mileage durability testing, there are â??specialâ? tests that collect data on the bike's limits on all kinds of surfaces in all kinds of weather. We had fun parking the Ulysses in water deep enough so that the muffler was completely under. We let it sit for a bit, and then started it right back up with no fuss. We had fun testing the Ulysses in places that we had never been before (Colorado River in the bottom of the Grand Canyon for example) - so I think you'd have a great time riding to Mexico!

sspazz: in an effort to reduce unsprung weight, i love the front brake and wheel, but why put oil in the swingarm? isn't this counter-productive
Erik: Actually, it turns out not to be. First of all the oil weight is at the very front of the swingarm, so the amount that counts as unsprung weight is quite small. Secondly, because it is liquid, it acts more as a damping fluid than as weight.

loveall: I am an adventure touring rider(just completed the Ultimate Coast). My current ride is a 92 bmw r100gspd. I rode the xb12x in St.Louis and loved it. What will it take to install a fuel cell,as I like to go as far. I am also Interested in the mileage you get out of the tires in highway use. I believe you have finally built a bike I will buy. I am a American Motorcycle Institute certified mechanic who owns 3 harleys and 1 bmw. It killed my soul to have to buy a nonamerican bike for my last adventure but I knew the haul road would eat my 81 flt. congradulations Loveall
Dan: I just finished a 1,400 mile ride from Phoenix, AZ to the top of Mt Evans Colorado on a Ulysses. Even in the long stretches through Utah I never had a problem with range out of the stock tank. The EPA test rates the fuel economy as 51 mpg city and 64 mpg highway. This is on a specific drive cycle. Real world numbers will vary depending on how hard you â??playâ? with the bike.

dedsld: Are the 12 V accessory power outlets on the Ulysses sealed from wet wether?
Jon: They are sealed, and they are very high quality outlets. We do lots of wet testing and in this case even specific corrosion testing on the outlets.

al_lighton: if the Uly muffler can take the bangs of offroad, won't the engine isolators then take the load? Are the mounts and isolators up to the task of taking these kind of hits? Are they updated from the previous mounts to be tough enough?
Abe: The engine isolation system was upgraded for Ulysses to make sure that it could effectively deal with the expanded surface content of its expected duty cycle and higher GVWR.

steve: Is the oil flow disrupted when the bike it wheelied for great distances?
Dan: We sponsor a number of professional stunt riders, such as Craig Jones, that perform extended wheelies with our stock bikes. The oiling system does just fine.

Sean45: What was done to the belt to make it handle the extra abuse?
John: We designed the 2006 belt with our supplier, Goodyear, and it features dramatic new technology to enhance its ability to withstand debris. We have tested the belt on gravel and fire roads for lots of miles in addition to some pretty severe lab testing. We have also implemented a new belt guard system to minimize the amount of debris that gets to the belt in the first place.

mailman1175: There has been a LOT of buzz about the Ulysses (you know this). One of the main topics of discussion has been the potential off-road vulnerability of the belt drive. I saw your "torture test" video, and I understand you chucked some kind of objects into the belt to test its durability. Can you tell us a little more about the testing the '06 belts went through?
John: I really wish I could go into all the details of the testing of the belt, but it really is too extensive to give you all of the details here. We did have a lab test where we chucked steel debris into the belt, and the new belt is able to take that debris much better than even last year's belt. We had several other lab tests and lots of miles on all different road surfaces and we are confident that the belt will handle it. But don't just take my word for it, take your Ulysses out there and let us know what you think.

Revin: How much total weight with passenger and gear can this baby hold?
Jon: The gross vehicle weight rating is 950 lbs. The Ulysses weighs 498 lbs. wet with a full tank, with an additional 452 lbs. of rider, passenger and / or luggage that can be added.

Torqueluvr: The relatively high center of gravity of the XB12X seems to go against the core Buell philosophy. Does this represent a shift in thinking, or would you conider it the exception to the rule?
Jon: The Ulysses needs to be a taller bike than other Buells because it needs ground clearance to get through the nasty washed out gravel & dirt roads. We experimented with even taller versions in development but kept the CG as low as practical for its intended use. Trust me, the Ulysses CG is a lot lower than many of its competitors, so for its class it is still a low CG bike.

Chad: I'm 6'5" tall with a 36" inseam. I've been looking for a "big sportbike" that handles well, yet is still comfortable. How does the XB12X compare to the V-Strom and Multistrada in terms of performance and comfort?
Erik: I definitely think you would be delighted with the XB12X. It is a great handling motorcycle, very sporty, with light weight and top of the line suspension and brakes. I think a comparison test between all of the above would send you away with a Ulysses.

crashcourse411: I was able to test ride the Uly a week ago and loved it. During the ride I noticed the nose dived while stopping. Now I realize this was a demo bike, can this be compensated for with some suspension adjustments? Also what is the lowest the seat height will go with the preload adjustment, it was a little tall for two up riding.
Jon: I'm glad you liked the bike. Yes the suspension is very adjustable. Our "baseline" settings on Ulysses are a bit more on the comfort side rather than the sport side. The Ulysses has more suspension travel then a typical sport bike. It has a softer spring rate to take advantage of this extra travel so it will dive a bit more than say a Firebolt. Backing off the preload may lower the seat slightly, but then the bottoming resistance may be compromised with a passenger. We do have a lower P&A seat.

romiti: How would you compare it to the BMW R1200GS?
Erik: Well, I know that bike pretty well, and the biggest difference you will notice on a Ulysses is on paved roads, and whenever the weight comes into play.

Indy_Bueller: What prompted the lengthening of the wheelbase on the Lightning and Ulysses models, and can we expect to see the same thing happen with the Firebolt?
Jon: The wheelbase change is only part of the overall package. The Ulysses and Lightning Long are going after a slightly different customer than the Firebolt or standard Lightning. The main driving factor was rider and passenger room.

gadams1515: How stable is the bike at speed on unpaved roads?
Abe: Very stable - riding the bike at reasonable speeds on unpaved roads was part of the duty cycle that the vehicle went through for thousands of miles.

SV_Rider: The rake of the forks is superbike spec .. how does the bike handle on the rough fire roads?
Jon: It rails on the bumps and broken up pavement or any road for that matter. The low unsprung weight of the wheels and the spring rates keep the tires planted. Ride one and see!

jimbryantx1: looked at it the machine is amazing I wonder what kind of punishment it can take
Abe: All kinds of punishment - we rode thousands and thousands of miles off the pavement. We water-crossed it, we stopped it, we muddied it, etc. and it just kept coming back for more!

supermoto7: Why does only one headlight come on at one time?
Tony: We wanted to keep the housing small and light. Therefore, if both lights are on, the heat from the bulbs will melt the chromed reflector. Additionally, there are actually government regulations on how bright the lights can be (as well as how dim). With only one bulb lit, we are at the limit of brightness.

crashcourse411: During testing was the "life" of the chassis diminished once the bike was taken off road? i.e. fatigue issues of the Aluminum engine mounts, swingarm, upper rear shock mount etc.
Jon: Before we ever built one, we knew the Ulysses was going to have a different "duty cycle" than our existing bikes. We planned for it, tested for it and did not back off any of our requirements. Many Ulysses parts are unique for its intended use, and some of the Ulysses parts and technology we used "across the board" on other Buell's for 06.

Blake: I heard a rumor on some Buell enthusiasts site that one could stop and restart a Ulysses even in water up to cylinder head depth. Which one of you had the honor of experiencing that? LOL!
Jon: I'll never tell, from the video all you can see are from the riders hips and down.

Blake: Besides the relatively small intake opening atop the airbox cover at the fuel filler area, do the new XBs also pull in intake air via other areas?
Dan: Yes, it also draws air from the gap all the way around the airbox cover. It looks like a thin, but the area really adds up.

benjy: How are the handling characteristics compared to a Lightning or a Firebolt?
Jon: It's a little hard to describe with a few words. The bikes are different in some ways, but still very much a Buell. Handling is still a huge thing to us at Buell, the Ulysses can corner with the best of them, but it's also is very relaxing and comfortable on the highway.

Sir Chadley S1 Texas: Is the electrical charging system of the Ulysses enhanced in any way to provide the extra juice needed for the accessory outlets?
John: We've got a 10 amp capacity on the accessory outlets so there should be plenty of juice for all the farkles (wow, I got to use that word again) you need.

Unpaved313: Do you try to evaluate some of the upcoming technologies that are evolving in other industries and figure out ways to integrate them into the latest Buell motorcycles?
Abe: Absolutely - we're always looking at new and exciting technologies as well as developing plenty of our own!