Replacing sprockets and chain myself - Tips needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supervan

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
First off, I like learning to do new things myself, so I want to do this once. For that purpose, I do not want to go the route of buying a chain breaker and rivet tool etc. and this leaves me with going the route of using the type of chain with a master link with a clip. That said, the internet is full of stories of links coming loose, but I have convinced myself that these are all due to bad installation/use and the involved party not even knowing enough to know that they do not know enough to not know what they should know. If you know what Im saying?  ;D

So I primarily am seeking advice on fitting a chain with a clip on side plate and safety. I saw some good advice on https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=199609.0 and would summarize:
  • Keep to a brand like DID or Regina
  • The sideplate should clip and hold on its own without the help of the safety clip
  • closed end of the safety clip facing with rotation (open end counter to rotation)
  • tension correctly

What else should I be looking into? Any other advice on the choice of sprockets?

In the bike's manual, it shows that I have to remove the swingarm to get the front sprocket off (nice going BMW), so this opens the avenue of just getting a continuous/infinity/whatchamacallit type chain. Do I just look for one with the same amount of links or what?