Save Macasser

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beserker

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Introduction:

Guys,

As you all know, over the last few months we have experienced various issues regarding riding at Macasser, mostly due to the fact that there is no official policy by the policy makers in place.

Staying in Stellenbosch, Macasser has always been a "riding spot"....since I can remember, but encroachment by various settlements, and the need by Cape Nature to execute their mandate to conserve has led to a situation where the various role players are vying for the same space.
Cape Town City also has a stake, as the area belongs to them, and can potentially be held liable for accidents and damage.

I believe there is space for everybody.

Things came to a head a few weeks ago when me and my sons were nearly arrested there, running the danger of having our bikes confiscated....and I started researching the issue.

This led me to speak to Ms. Levine Walters of @capetown.gov.za, and indeed, a meeting is planned to discuss the utilization of the area.
The public meeting is still to be scheduled, and she will let me know.

I will update this thread as news becomes available...   I would suggest a show of force by all that has an interest in riding there, i.e.:

I think we should all attempt at attending the meeting, when it does happen, in order to state our claim.
Most definitely the 4x4 fisherman using the beach will be there....and they are organized, and we should learn from them.

We should consider having a spokesman to represent the group, and recognize that we won't get it all for ourselves, we will have to be prepared to share, and maybe make concessions like not going onto the beach itself etc. etc.

Ms. Levine has promised to let me know when, once confirmed, but she has suggested to look at the daily papers as well, it will be advertised there.

Should I hear of something, I will update the various threads that deal with it, but you guys keep your ears open as well.

In the meantime, I will invite Ms. Levine to this thread, and anybody that has something constructive to add, please do so.

Telling us how you will spin your bike and disappear into the dunes and not get caught is not constructive as a comment or as an action....in the long term, exhibiting behavior like that: We will lose!!!

It is now time to stick to the rules and play the game....I think you will find that the authorities is not adverse to engage.