Serviced the Clutch Oil Jet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 15464

Race Dog
Reaction score
Decided to check the clutch oil jet to see if it was blocked because I struggled to change down gears.....It changed down but with a bit more force than usual....It took me about any hour but if I do it again it should take about 20 min.

Here are the steps and things not to do that I did.....

1) Take the sprocket cover off - (hint 8 mm - three bolts short one goes at the bottom  :biggrin:)

2) Take off the clutch slave cylinder (hint 8mm -two bolts same length- you don't need bleed the clutch unless you push that plunger at the bottom   ??? don’t pull the clutch while it’s off either)

3) I took the plastic spacer and the metal guide off, it’s held on with one bolt 10mm that also has the chain roller guide on it. (hint - there is a split pin in the shaft that goes into the clutch slave it slots into the plastic spacer don't lose it and make sure it lines up when you reassemble it. There is also a washer on the chain roller guide bolt.)

4) CLEAN THAT ENTIRE AREA I found alot of old chain wax built up around this area it must be clean because you don't want gunk going down the hole where the clutch jet is.

5) Loosen the allen key that houses the clutch jet (hint it has a washer don't lose it and try replace it if you can - I didn't)

6) Now for the fun part.....I used an old screw driver bit to loosen the jet with but guys have taken it out with the screw driver that comes with the bike. They have been known to be tight but mine was not too difficult to loosen....(hint - time to open some beer... :biggrin:)

7) To get the jet out takes patience....I eventually ground a thin piece of wood into the shape of the top of the jet and got it out after swearing and cursing KTM designers for a few minutes  :lol8: :lol8:

8) The hole on the jet is very small 0.3mm and with my failing eysight I battled to see if it was not blocked...I cleaned it with a tooth brush put it in some boiling water and the only way I could see if, it was clean was by holding a torch on the bottom side of it and you can see the light coming out of the top.

Because I pushed the plunger on the slave cylinder I had to bleed the clutch (Hint - These Magura clutch use mineral oil NOT BREAK FLUID) It was just as well because the oil that came out was pitch black and had probably never been changed. I had no ATF so I gravity bled the system with 2 stroke oil until all the old oil was out and then just bled the system like you would a cars brake system.(hint – use a 8mm socket to loosen the bleed nipple, I first rounded the nipple with a 8mm spanner) You get special Magura oil but it’s expensive. The only downside to the 2 stroke oil I used was the clutch feels a bit stiffer. I’m going to change it to ATF and see if it’s better but the good news is the clutch works and the gearbox it as smooth as silk !! Just like all KTM gearboxes should be. This procedure should be done every 15000 km or whenever your gear box feels like a GS1200’s  :biggrin: :biggrin: