Should I buy a KDX200?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDog

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Ive got my heart set on a 2nd bike, more specifically a plastic for the weekends when my mates want to play rough and the 660z is just too heavy.

Been looking at some KDX200's and have seen some good examples and some really bad. Loving the idea of a 2 stroke for its pure simplicity and fun factor, but scared of the higher power KX's and YZ's.

Found a really mint KDX200 this evening just around the corner from me. its an 06 model 1st registered in 08 with about 1200kms on it and is stock standard apart from the handlebars. the seller is willing to accept R25K from his original price of R27K, is this a good buy considering age and condition.

The only other one that I have found in reasonable condition is fully kitted with FMF goodies but has done some hard work and it shows, it is however 3 grand less.

Should I get the standard but newer one at the higher price and wait to fit the FMF or should I rather buy one that is already modified? I suspect I'm answering my own question here but it helps to put my thoughts down and the advice of some of the experts would be greatly appreciated.

Anything to look out for on an 06 model? any known problems or faults ?

I had one of these many many years ago, and back then they were bulletproof. I don't believe that much has changed with them and everyone I know who has had one still loves them.

Please help me make my mind up, I won't sleep tonight if I can't decide :(