So I have a Quad also - there I said it...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred400

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Been lurking around the pack for a while - have to see what company I intend to keep….My grandpa (a deep man of nature) always reminded me:  Meng jou met die semels dan vreet die varke jou en …..dit is nie jou skuld as jou ouers arm is nie, maar dit is definitief jou skuld as jou skoonouers arm is.  Seeing I have already failed miserably on the second count, I am still trying to follow his best advice on the first.
So far so good, so here goes.  Have been riding since the early 80’s anything that would accept my butt on the seat, but have always had an unexplainable urge for dirt (ya ya and sand) – did years of commuting on a bike too, and still do .  Started with a Honda XL250R (pro-link), 1982 – owned for 50000k, 22 years.  With some overlap owned other bikes too, from 2003/4 (if memory serves) took ownership of a BM 650 Dak, this relationship lasted only 2 years, 15000km.  Although all was good in the beginning, the “heavy in the hips” got to me.  By this time the better half has taken to pillion and that on a DAK – unbelievable as it might be…. So off the Dak went into the sunset, and arrived an Aus spec street legal DRZ400E.  Let’s just say it was like having a very raunchy secretary as it made every cop make a double take as it was as close to illegal as you can legally get.  Really loved that thing. 
Then came the pillion complaints of not having a ride anymore – no problem – 2006, the GS1200 arrived – I think she loves that pillion seat more than me but that’s not all bad. This setup ended up on black top and gravel adventure rides, but has stayed out of the more hardcore stuff – sadly to porky and lacking that 21” front, but let’s not start on that (p.s not sponsored for parts yet).  As time passed and I sadly started growing a bit older myself (approaching the 40’s), the newly found riding group of the “older” crowd on 650’s happened.  The DRZ, although leading most of the rides, was a bit short on breath on the open stretches and wanted to take routes the 650’s did not.  I was not willing to give up the rough side just yet – so out with the DRZ and in with the 650X-challenge and to many mods.  Now still the X wants to take routes the other 650’s does not, but holds its own on the open stretches (had to add a small screen for that). 
So here comes the twist in the tail….better half was not joining us on the rough stuff, so then kicked in the smooth operator in me.  Get her a quad, make it a proper two seater, and then my buddies’ wife’s can also go along for rides.  And did this work….I have riding buddies wife’s encouraging their bau’s to go riding, so they can come along for overnight off-road jaunts….Ag sies man a quad, what are you thinking….well this ain’t your regular mother in law quad, it harbours a 650 Rotax twin, fuel injected viscous coupled 4x4 with a sofa pillion seat, and it goes like a bat out of hell - anywhere.    You wanna hear something even worse – I like riding the blasted thing, all my best intensions out the window – the Atlantis dunes (10km from my residence in Melkbos) is a place made in heaven.
Now if that’s not an introduction, then I do not know what is……1200GS, 650X-challenge and CanAM Outlander 650MAX
Although I still feel 23, I now accept that I look 28.
Your partner in riding (hopefully)
Fred400.