Special use GPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shark_za

I have just got a GPS to use while riding offroad, just to record my tracks and to help me not get lost.

This is really a special purpose item, some Dual Purpose riders might find a use for it as it has all the features of the Geko 201 in a wearable format that is handy and does not get damaged on the bike like other GPS's.

You can load waypoints and even a pre planned route to follow, do trackbacks etc. In other words it will get you to follow a track someone else has made, it will also get you out of wherever you have ridden by simply following the exact way back.

I'd not say its the best type to buy if you are wanting a nice touring GPS, but for the first time user who like his maps made out paper or the special needs rider who only wants tracking and the minimum features, its a good one.

pt-Foretrex201Large01.jpg

For anyone thinking along these lines, there are two models the 101 and 201.
The difference is in the size and the batterys they use.

101 is a little larger and used AAA batterys

201 is the smallest GPS around and uses built in rechargeable lithium battery.

Features are the same for both units.
I chose the 201 to save on battery costs as I will always use this and have a recharge option available. For those long outta the way rides the Quest will get its power cable as soon as those slackers at Touratech wake up.

R1999 at most SA stores. $180 overseas, Really cheap if someone is going to the states, get em to bring one back for you. I could not wait, I wanted it now to replace the Geko 301 I lost.