Stranded on the side of the road

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cave Girl

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Just wanted to ask a question â?? is there some special sign/signal one should display/show if you breakdown on the side of the road and need help .........

Saturday morning 40km out of Middleburg my bike just stopped .... I was alone on my way to Machadadadorp (SP?)

Fortunately got the bike to the side of the road took the seat and side panels off to check I did not have a loose battery terminal or blown fuse â?? actually had no idea what to look for but had to do something just to feel useful.

Resorted to phoning a friend for advice â?? luckily she had a cousin in Middleburg that offered to come out and stay with me till she could come up from JHB to trailer the bike back home.

Having no idea where I was other than I had gone through the toll gate and had not reached the Caroliner turnoff it took a while for her cousin to find me.

I stood on the side of the road for over an hour before he arrived. 15 bikes passed me (I counted them) all showing me the thumbs up sign but hardly even slowing down.....  now I have to ask why would a female be alone on the side of the road in the middle of no-where with her bike stripped luggage piled on the side of the road ......

I guess I did not expect the cars to stop but really was surprised that not one bike stopped.

Fortunately a friend of a friend happened to remember his bike doing the same thing â?? seems I had a sticky kill switch and several on/off flips of the switch sorted the problem out.

Sharron