Tenere Gearbox lockup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr.basson

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
Jis boys. I would like some advice, let me give you some background first
I bought a 2010 Tenere with 16200km on the clock September this year. The bike had some scratched on the right side (screen, tank, side cover, bend break leaver, and scratches on the exhaust)
I figured it was just cosmetic damage.
At 19300 on Piekenierskloof pass I sat behind a truck going down hill in 5th, when I wanted to go to 4th the bike would not take the gear.
I looked down to see if something did not wedge in underneath (stick...?) nothing in the way so I tried 4th again - no luck.
I lifted it "back" to 5th and tried 4th again - this time it took the gear and locked the rear wheel up at about 60-70km/h.
pulling the clutch did not free up the rear and I managed to get the bike to an standstill, in the middle of the road and had to push it to the yellow line while the back was still locked up.

I found nutural (light on dash) and started but it was still in gear. I clicked down to 1st and lifted the leaver gently, then I found natural.
Started the bike - engine was not damaged, put in first and drove for about 80m there was a rumble in the gearbox so I decided to cancel by bike trip and arrange a lift for the bike.

I have read a few different thins on the net. Some say the crank nut can come loose and need to be tighten to 110nM every few thousand km (engine)
others say 3rd gear break if you ride too hard (my problem in with 4/5)
Helderberg Yamaha say they had only one failure (gearbox) a pin / cir clip came loose. This was fixed under warranty.

So this is a labor intense job. 12 - 14 hours I have been told :eek:
Yamaha will start to open up to give me a quote next week Monday.

Now the advice I asked about:
1. Can a gearbox be repaired 100% or is this a case of "never as good as new"?
2. How common is this for a Tenere? I have read that most gearbox failures is from owners that wring there necks to hard - I do ride my bike fairly hard as well. I am just concerned that it might happen again - especially with a repaired gearbox.
3. I am seriously considering getting a new bike (actually busy with financing now) BUT is a Tenere the way to go?
I know this is probably not the place to ask this question, but please dogs, give me your 2c.

Faure