Test ride on a 990 and 1190 back to back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddy81

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Today we(myself, my dad and my uncle) went to ride the 1190, this is what we felt about the 2.

All 3 of us were in agreement that the 990 was more:
1. Flickable,
2. More power at lower revs
3. Better engine sound
4. Naughty...
5. Smoother gear changes.
6. Motor more responsive, when closing the throttle on the 1190 it slowly reduces the Rpms, and also takes longer to respond with the opening of the throttle.  990 is direct and does what you want it to.

The 1190 def. has more top end but what's the point of having to rev it high and ride it like an inline 4? But with lower revs. The motor kinda feels confused as to what it should be. Also riding the 1190 made me feel like it can be a "Smart" bike for the corporate rider to go to the office with. The 990 made me feel like wanting to climb the curbs and ride like a hooligan. "Where is my tent, lets go up into Africa!!"

I know this little write up isn't as informative as many others on here, but we def. can't understand the hype about the 1190, and feel that there is hype about it simply cause it's new and expensive and has all the fancy gizmos... So it must be cool cause I'll be more fashionable on it...

To all the guys keeping there 990s, best decision ever!! Hate my post don't hate it, it's just our personal view on these bikes