The need to ride and experience...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightwind

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
This morning I woke up at around 04:30, as I do every morning. My lazy ass and a cold chill that sneaks through an open window prevents me for getting up right away. It is too early anyway. So; I pull the blanket a little higher, roll onto the other side and my mind starts wondering about the day ahead. The work; the HR problems; the lack of progress in certain areas; the politics. The more I think about this, the more restless I get. One highlight; today I can ride to work with my GSA! That puts a smile on my sleepy face.

A while later I get up, switch the kettle on for my early morning coffee, jump through the shower and put my riding gear on. Working clothes in my pap-sak. The ride to work is exactly as I anticipated it. Full of congestion, traffic, taxis swerving and cagers not looking out for each other. But the smile is on my face, regardless. I think about why it makes me happy to ride my bike; even if it is to work. There are so many reasons, and the more I think about it the more I realize:

I need to get out of this damn place.
I need to hit the open road.
I need to meerkat an interesting gravel road.
I need to meet people and converse with them without pressure of managing them.
I need to have a braai by myself.
I need to have a beer with my braai.
I need to get out of this damn place!!!

I live in Gauteng. Roodepoort. I can have at most 3 days.

What do you suggest? Whereto?