The road to becoming a privateer Rally Raider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will this thread add value ?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Waste of time

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Bender

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
Don’t we all have a dream to do things that seems to be impossible, well I have such a dream and that is to visit the very Special Dakar Rally? Well I am definitely not competition material but I will do well as a spectator. Definitely a bucket list item to visit a Dakar Rally one day as a spectator.
How do we compromise for these dreams, we live them in our own back yard and yes there are races like the AMAGEZA and the NAMAQUA but sure as hell are still not the real thing but a bloody good idea?
The idea with this thread is to get ideas and input on where do one start as a sort off weekend worrier aka privateer (let’s use the lingo) to enter one of these SA based races.
If you pick up most magazines today there is a programme for this or that not marketing anyone in particular, Menshealth for instance will have a programme for Running a Half Marathon from beginner to you first race.
Where do one start surely you don’t just get a bike and you ready to go, can we maybe build a comprehensive programme for anyone that are interested in this sort of thing including things like:
Bike – Size and prep
Tyres
Fitness
Experience – What type of terrains to cover and where are safe riding spots to do so
Saddle time – How much and how often.
Technical now how and maintenance that you will have to do on a race.
Spares to carry on bike and quick wins and gains.
What type of training required and where and what.

Looking forward to your input !!!