Too much to handle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirata

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
This is just an idea I've cooked up with almost not time to plan.

In a nutshell, my company is shipping me off to Tanzania in the next week or so. I have some flexibility on when I get to leave (but its quite soon) and also when I get to leave.
All my colleugues are doing there thing in Dar and Arusha. I need to be there too, but not at the same time as them.
For my sins I have to also go to Moshi (right near Arusha and the foot of Kili), Mwanza (on lake Victoria) and Mbeya on my own.

So while the crew gets back to SA and enjoys their leave, I'm working.
Basically I could be in the smaller areas from 1 day to 4, depending on the amount of work.
I basically need to fly all over Tanzania to complete my tasks.
My issues are the incredible fear of flying as well as not having any flexibility should I finish sooner and want to move to the next site.

Seeing my leave is pretty much gone, I was thinking of riding up to Tanzania at my own expense and then the company pays my fuel in Tanzania.

Because this is pretty short notice and I can't plan too much I would like some advice on the following.
Can I get to Dar es Salaam in a week or less from Johannesburg? Coming back will be at my leisure.
Are the roads in Tanzania in good enough condition that I can cover 600km in a day to get to the towns mentioned?
This would be my first trip outside SA on a bike and also all solo.
Am I being delusional entertaining this thought? I won't be able to handle very technical roads as I need to get to the client in the agreed time and not put myself in danger of falling.

However I end up going, what can I expect in Tanzania? Remember I'll be on my own and have to entertain myself in the evenings and over at least 1 weekend.
Anything I need to be aware or cautious of?