Traffic Negotiation, the Teenage way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadedGS

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Every Morning I travel pretty much the same route to work, hop on the N1 North from town, turn off at Carl Bremer Hospital and then shoot down Frans Conradie to the office.

Often I see kids walking / being transported / riding / driving to the local High School, but what I saw this morning infuriated me beyond a point of self-control (hence my requirement for a calm down period and now the thread on the Forum).

Now I know that Lane splitting is completely legal - heck I do it too Smiling, but this kid on his scooter CY243008 came screaming through the traffic as if he was on one of the fastest Ratanga junction rides. This was still when the traffic wasn't moving. I saw this guy come screaming up to a red robot, probably able to time the change - and when it did, he shot out like a sneeze in hayfever season and into the traffic on the other side.

What's worse, he then hooked up with one of his buddies and they played hopscotch at a relatively high speed all the way down to their high school.

I know they're young and have, as teenage know-it-alls which I too was once, mastered some form of ancient ninja art that allows them to slow time so they can ride with excellent reaction times without the slightest care in the world, but as we all know, it isn't riding fast that hurts, it's that sudden stop when you connect with an immovable object in your flight path.

If this is your son, cousin, friend, son's friend, daughters boyfriend (okay, maybe not daughter's boyfriend) - please smack the little "angel" against the side of the head [I require photographic evidence of this] and explain to him the amount of pain with possibly lethal side effects, that he may experience should he not notch down his traffic escapades. Getting through the traffic to your destination is not a slalom event at the olympics [where they still at least strive to be alive when they get to the finish line].

Be safe out there. I'm pretty sure your mommy and daddy will miss you after one of those impending "sudden stops" if you don't learn to chill.