Transalp XL700 - about Run-in, sprockets and hidey-holes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herman8r

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
Hi, Guys

Just got a new TA and I am new to adventure riding. Fitted crash bars and panniers, awaiting topbox (nothing fancy - just Kappa stuff) as I will mostly commute with it. I have a few questions at present:

1. Can anyone recommend a proper run-in programme? The manual AND workshop manual say nothing about the run-in of a new motor except something along the line of: "Don't overcook it" Any sage advice? The bike has 200 km on the odo now and I am keeping it under 5000rpm and avoiding hard acceleration.

2. Can anyone recommend a good sprocket set-up that will reduce revs at cruising (highway speeds) and not involve fiddling with the chain  - ie: probably a larger front sprocket that will lower revs at 120 - 140 kph but still retain good torque? Good advice will be appreciated - experience even more so.

3. Why does no-one ever mention the hidey-hole under the front seat? That is perhaps the single best feature of this bike !!! I have a tyre repair can, a small torch, a first aid kit and a survival kit stuffed in there - and that EXCLUDES the bike's very good standard tool kit, which ALSO fits in under the seat!!!! How excellent is that??!!

Cheers!
Herman8r