Trying to get Tubby running again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
One bike I have always wanted was an original 34L Tenere. The bike that for '83 and '84 was the best selling bike in Europe. Never knew there were so many kick starting masochists in the world but alas. Browsing around it seems they only come in two categories, either mint and selling for 45k plus or in pieces in a serious state of disrepair. Some may be complete but then normally the papers are awol. So taking my budget into account I went for the box option hoping to as time goes by get it in one piece and running. Good thing it has up to date papers and luckily it's not my only bike so hopefully this time I can practice some patience and do a better job than my previous goes. I'm very impatient and normally a project starts just fine then I find rushing and jumping around to get something done, normally ending up being done half arsed. In saying that this is not going to be concourse, I don't have the skill or money for that .... does that sound half arsed ?!

So I found a 1984 model at cheap enough to take a chance. I arrived home with the rolling chassis and a plastic tub full of engine spares, the wife promptly dubbed it "Tubby"  :biggrin:

I used the old well at least you know I'm in the garage and not some pub story, she shrugged her shoulders and I disappeared into the man cave.

So with obviously with being star struck at finding a 34L cheap I did not check for all parts when I drove 3.5 hours to collect it. Just loaded and headed for home. So lesson 1 be very careful when buying a bike in pieces !

The good so far :
Bike is fairly original most rolling chassis and body parts are there
Frame no cracks or DIY welds
Was not in accident as far as I can tell
Km's seems genuine
It's still on the stock piston
Papers !

The bad :
The more I check the more parts are missing mainly motor related, I think I even left with some car parts that has got nothing to do with the bike !
Tank mount rubbers front
Lower frame bracket
Main shaft plus gears
Clutch engine cover
Shift lever
Clutch basket plus bolts
Carb
Bash plate
Swingarm bolt
The bike was stripped then left for about 5 years so many parts are rusted, hopefully can pull some of them back

Some pictures from when I collected it

Attachments

• bike 3.JPG
    bike 3.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 1,009
  • bike 2.JPG
    bike 2.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 1,004
  • engine 2.JPG
    engine 2.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 1,010
  • engine.JPG