Tyre Choice Poll - Middleweight Adventure Bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What tyres would you recommend for a middleweight adventure bike 50/50 usage

• Total voters

MadDog

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
I have searched the web in vain for a definitive answer to this time old question and so far all I have managed to ascertain is that the different tyres are preferred by riders of different skill levels, dependent on the bike and the conditions, but nowhere can any of the information actually help me make a decision as some arguments are manufacturer biased or just shameless plugs for a particular tyre.

So, all that being said, I would like to gather some meaningful data in the form of a poll but with some very important considerations below, please take note of the considerations and vote based on these and not if your experience is from a different baseline such as what may have worked best on a 300kg bike with over 100 horsepower (you know who you all are ;) )

• The tyres must be exactly 50/50 road and enduro
  • The bike in question is a middleweight adventure bike, lightly loaded for 90% of the rides (XT660Z)
  • The tyres must be DOT approved
  • The tyres must not be hazardous in the wet, within reason (see comment below)
  • Tyre life is not a major contributing factor as they will be replaced as often as required but not every 1000kms
  • Price should only be a factor if the tyres cost more than 20% more than the opposition

Comments:
I use the bike for commuting daily but the total distance travelled daily is less than 10kms
I use the bike in all weather conditions
I dont have a lot of experience in riding so my speeds are fairly low and freeway speeds hover around the speed limit
Freeway travelling is only to facilitate getting to a destination for a dirt/gravel/mud ride with the odd midlands meander thrown in, hence the 50/50 requirement.

The brands and options above are not the definitive guide to tyres but are the choices I have narrowed my list down to from taking note of comments made in earnest and watching what other riders are doing on the trickier bits that we ride. I may well have left many possibilities out but that is simply because I have no knowledge of that particular tyre or because I have not read anything convincing about them.

And before the mudslinging commences, I know this topic gets raised often and the replies are normally that the person should just search around. I have done precisely that and have come out of the search with more questions.

I hope to gather some real meaningful data from this poll, so please no biting, scratching and hair pulling.

Ready, set... GO

EDIT: I have added in an OTHER option to please some people, please give details if you choose this option. Details should include what tyre and a reasonable argument for its use...