Tyres: More off road - dirt road based tyres for NC750X?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVB

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Yes I know it is not an off road bike or a ds bike but I often ride mine on gravel roads and it is rather stable on gravel roads even with normal road based tyres.
In a perfect world I would have owned a ds bike as well, but my NC makes more sense because I also use it to commute to standbys's as medic etc - I am riding the bike cause it is light on fuel and cheap to run - service intervals of 12k km etc.

So I would like more aggressive tyres and I see overseas the guys have an option of TKC 17 X 120 for a front, but it is not available in SA. I normally fit tyres at Runner and last time I was there he unfortunately had no options for road bikes.

I also see one get a rear tyre: Mitas E07 which is a 17 x 130 - Why can I not fit that rear tyre on the front? There is enough clearance in the front mudguard and only 5mm wider on each side. Is it unsafe or...?

Any other options of locally available tyres - I know the 17 X 16O E07 should work fine on the rear, if one can find it.