W.W.you.D-2008 660 Tenere that has been places..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaasjaap

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 250
So on one of my routine searches for 2nd hand (new.. ???) Tenere's i find this on friday afternoon at 16h00:
https://search.autotrader.co.za/www/bikes_advert?id=201015186639847

So i mail the guy with obvious question- where is it registered: answer Denmark. The owner (American living in Maputo) says he's in Nelspruit this weekend. Needless to say, Saturday I drive to Nelspruit to see this bike...
Long story short- the bike was ridden through africa from Denmark by a Danish guy (also living in Maputo). Apparently a mechanical engineer. Bought by the American about a year ago, who has added some 6000kms on it.

First impressions: it indeed looks like a bike that went through the sahara and central africa (congo) and fallen 300 times (can see this mostly from the VERY scratched barkbusters, my wife says it looked pretty moeg, moeger than my very used KLR...), but (i HOPE and as the owner claims) only cosmetical scratches/dents etc. Got a small leak in the radiator I spotted. Discs (brakes) looks fine. Took it for a test ride-everything feels straight and good, brakes like anything, new chain- I guess thats how it felt from new... its got 35 000kms on now. Owner often rides it from Map to Nelspruit etc. Somebody in nelsruit services it for him, he offered to give me the details to confirm mechanical soundness. He will also share the details of the original owner who did the trip.

Importation etc: the plus is- he will (preferably) sell it in a couple of months in Pretoria(before leaving back to the states), so he enters with it into the country on a temporary import permit. I phoned ITAC (guy was very helpful-immediately said import of bike(already on a temp import permit or carne is much easier than motorcar, cause none are manufactured in SA). Import duties sounds like only 5%(?!), and LOA (letter of authorisation by SABS/NRSA) doesn't seem too bad. Altogether I was surprised how do-able it sounded... Am I missing something!?

Now, What Would You Do...!?!?! if the tenere is what i believe,and WANT, it to be-one should not worry about buying a bike with a history like this... (owner tells stories of it being submerged in water etc..!) And of course says the previous owner (being a mech engineer...)took meticulous good care of it otherwise...

obviously the only reason I am looking at this option is cause it 50% of the new one's price, which i cannot justify in my circumstances. Import etc (as far as I have been able to calculate...)should be <R5000, Say another R5000 for making it pretty again. and its R55 000. how is that? what we will pay for this bike (if bought new in SA last year) say mid next year in SA? I can't think it will be this low? If this is so, I'll wait (BUT I CAN"T!!) and buy a poser's bike then...

raait, please gooi me with some negatives or positives, comments and "fatherly" advice (scolding..). So sorry it didn't take pics of the thing!
PS- apparently it also has it's "red key" (never heard of it but very important to reset the computer etc..?)

dankie honne, julle is altyd 'n groot hulp!