Which bike for a cross-country type rally dream?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJBotha

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Hi Guys

I have always had a fascination with the Dakar Rally and I would like to one day experience it on a smaller scale, say the South African Amageza or similar.
I know nothing about the Enduro scene (are these even called enduro bikes?) and would like some pointers on what motorcycles are suitable for such a cross-country rally, I only want to buy once.

The obvious modern choice seems to be a 450cc, but many of the older bikes were larger in capacity like the KTM 500 series of bikes,
and it seems like there is a class option for larger than 450cc bikes also, at least for the Amageza that I looked at.

I want to buy a second-hand bike that I can use for training and for the actual race,
and I would love to eventually build it into something with the Rally-look fairing so if kits are available that is a definite plus for me.
I know that a Navigation tower and long range tanks (250 kms?) are requirements and that the bike must be road-legal and registered.

We have a Yamaha and a Honda dealership in town which I would consider as Pro's when considering a bike, the Yamaha dealership being the better one.
Are there any specific bikes that are good platforms and any ones to stay away from? Any year-models to avoid or to look for?

Budget is 20-50k excl navigation stuff, I would prefer the lower part of the bracket so that I can spend more on appropriate gear.

So far my favorites (and most budget friendly) are the Honda CRF450X and Yamaha WR450F, parts like long range tanks do not seem to hard to come by.
Would the Husqvarna TE511 be suitable? I have read complaints about the transmission ratios not being lekker, but sounds like the issue is more for high speed road touring.

Thanks!