Which screen for an x-challenge (and other upgrades)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCrash

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R850GS
I have joined the world of the un-caged again on an X-Challenge and am busy setting it up so it is a little more touring oriented. It was a bit steep at R50000 for a 2007 but with 2200Km's on the clock it was very clean. The added bonus was I got it from a shop so it they did all the COR, license and reg and gave me a 3 month warranty.

The bike came with a Leo Vince pipe, a folding gear lever and a modified rear (just a nip 'n tuck to make her sexy).

So far I have done the washer/plastic bending to save the rear shock  and ordered Hyde hand guards, bash plate cover and swingarm covers.

My next step is to get a decent screen, so far I like the kappa KA245A or the KA660, the first is smaller and looks better but mounts directly to the plastics I am not sure if buffeting and extra resistance could cause issues. The 660 attaches to the handle bars and looks solid it is bigger and thus should provide more protection. Does anyone have any experience with these screens or others which may be better?

In the near future I plan on sorting something out with the seat and possibly getting an airhawk, modifying the airbox so it doesn't require a five day plan to get in and getting a foam filter.

After all this my dogs and kid will be sharing food and I will probably be sleeping alone so I will need to save up for the final stage of mods which will hopefully include HID lights, a touratech tank and new chain and sprocket(s).

Pics will follow when the process is a bit further along.