Why are people so afraid to help out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJane

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Yesterday, I stopped on a bit of an incline waiting for all the traffic to pass before making a sharp left turn onto the main road. Unfortunately, in the turning I took the corner too slow, ended up losing my balance and dropping my bike. Problem was not so much the dropping of the bike but that I managed to get my leg was stuck underneath it.

I could hear a few gasps and comments from the pedestrians on the side of the road when I went over. But, when I looked up to see if anyone was around to help me, they all had disappeared or were in the process of doing so.

This had me thinking... What is it that stops people helping those around them out? Is it that they're afraid of a scene? Is it that they feel that a stranger's accident isn't really their business? Do they think they're doing me a favour, avoiding me any embarrassment by turning a blind eye and pretending not to see that it happened? Or is it just a bit of a shock factor, and that if I  had been stuck for any longer, they would've realised what had happened, and then would've offered assistance? I always assumed that if I went down in traffic or on a busy road, people would be quick to help out. Is it just that those that ride bikes understand the situation and are the most likely to come to the rescue opposed to those that don't?

Anyways, the good news was that the bike had partly landed on the pavement which meant I could wiggle my leg out (there was no way I could lift the bike off me), get it back onto its wheels and head off with only a bit of a bruised leg, and a few scratches to the bike... :)