XR 650 R setup questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2wdrift

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Hi there this is my first post so let me start with an introduction.

I have been riding dual purpose bikes for about 7-8 years. I started on a DR200 and rode that as hard as i dared, it taught me a lot and it also threw me off when I was being stupid. I have crashed hard and had many a operation to get my knee working again. (torn acl left knee)
Since then I have owned a DR 650, KLR 650 new model and a R1200GSA. The GSA was stolen and while waiting for my new KTM 1190 ADV R i thought i should also buy my childhood hero THE XR 650R.

So here comes my question:

My weight fluctuates between 100 and 110kg and I want to setup the suspension for that. The front fork is stock and feels quite hard even with my weight and I enjoy it like that but being used to the DR650 and KLR a waterbed feels quite harsh... ;)

Now my question is how many turns should the damping be at about for my weight, both rebound and compression. I ride open terrain mostly and i ride at speed, WO over bumps and anything in the way.

The rear has a 10.5kg spring and feels good as well but I want to adjust the front first so I can feel the difference.
I can hold slides as long as I want but I am not a great rider so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance