help needed 450 Ktm 2007 xc-w

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrtle

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi

I hope somebody can assist me with the following problem.

I have been rebuilding the bike and had the first test run on Saturday. (the engine apart from checking the valve settings was never opened.) The bike ran well but blew coolant from one of the coolant hose fittings. On closer inspection the clamp was a bit loose. I also replaced one of the bottom hoses and as a result a lot of the coolant ran out. I topped it up but did not bleed the system.  On the second test run the bike went well but leaked coolant from the overflow pipe on the radiator. Only a small amount. I inspected everything and all looked fine. The fluid was a bit low so I topped it up again. During the third run all went well initially until it blew coolant out from somewhere. I had a helmet and goggles full of coolant. When  I took the tank off I could not see where it blew out off but I suspect past one of the hose couplings.

My first thought was blown head gasket but taking the bikes history into consideration that did not seem feasible. The bike starts very easily and there is also no sludge in the radiators. Can a faulty thermoswitch, faulty thermostat or having air in the system cause this?

I would appreciate any help.