Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Traditional Triumph Connection, Edenvale  (Read 238 times)

Offline BiganDaft

• Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
Traditional Triumph Connection, Edenvale
« on: March 03, 2020, 03:19:31 pm »

I’ve been riding Triumph Motorcycles from 1997, bought my first Tiger 900 from Primrose Motorcycles.
Back in those days Mandy and I went on many bike rallies.
On the way back from the Paradise Rally that was held in Hazyview this strange bloke came up to us and timidly handed me a card to join the RAT Group.
This I eventually found out stood for Riders Association of Triumph.
From the small beginnings in a little shop in Sebenza all the way to the shop we all eventually called home for our social get togethers I have supported Traditional Triumph Connection and later on Traditional Motor Co.
Because of the RAT outings I have met many good friends and we had many, many adventures together.
The cracks started to show when Triumph |Factory started demanding that the dealers have this type of décor and that type of structure to be able to sell their motorcycles.
This would have cost way more money than was feasible in the South African economy.
This is when Triumph South Africa took over the role of supporting Triumph as the smaller shops could not get any more factory support.

My friends and I have sat and discussed why we feel so strongly about the demise of the smaller dealers and I believe it boils down to the simple fact that the dealer does not understand the passion that goes into buying a motorbike.

As a rider, you bond with the machine, it becomes and represents how you see yourself and how you would like to be seen.

Over the years I have owned 13 Triumphs, from Tigers, Bonnie Scramblers to Steed triples, all bought new, all ridden hard, and all enjoyed.

Unfortunately, in the new world, the only thing that is of any importance is the bottom line on the balance sheet.

I believe, but hope that I am wrong, that Triumph Motorcycles is going to go the same way that Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Ducati and all the other small brands are going to go, supported by a few Die Hard followers that battle to get support.

We, as old Triumph riders and supporters, have lost an Icon in the Motorcycling world when Traditional Mo Co shut down their motorcycling doors.

It is a sad day indeed.

The best of luck to the guys that are losing their jobs and income.
Current:
Triumph Tiger 800XC, Triumph Scrambler, Yamaha XT 500 X 2, Yamaha XT550, Yamaha XT600, Kawasaki KLR 650, KTM 50
Past:
Triumph Tiger 855 (sold), Triumph Speed Triple 955 (sold), Triumph Speed Triple 1050 (sold),Yamaha IT 490 (SOLD) Triumph Tiger 1050 (sold), Honda XR200 (killed), Honda XR 500 (killed), XT600 (killed)

The following users thanked this post: XTZFegen, eberhard, Lou1, DouglasN

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
Re: Traditional Triumph Connection, Edenvale
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 05:52:13 pm »
Oh my word.  When did they decide to shut down? They just serviced my bike and repaired some minor issues last month. I was happy with their service.
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 06:40:41 pm »
Jeez that is really friggin sad.
When Triumph pretty much died in SA they were the passionate bunch that ran that kept the flag flying

Sent from my BV9500 using Tapatalk

~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

The following users thanked this post: XTZFegen

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 07:03:14 pm »
@BiganDaft - well written piece. Sad, but true.
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline BiganDaft

• Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 04:25:49 pm »
Some good news for us,
Mike Macmanus, who was the Chief Mechanic at Traditional Triumph will be continueing with the workshop under his own name, Mike Mac Motorcycle Services.
He will be operating from the same spot.
Have a look on Facebook and you will find all the details.

From his site:
I am pleased to announce that from April 2020, I will be offering traditional Triumph services as Mike Mac Service Centre from the existing Traditional Motor Co premises in Edenvale. Call me on 083 273 5716 to arrange your next service.
Current:
Triumph Tiger 800XC, Triumph Scrambler, Yamaha XT 500 X 2, Yamaha XT550, Yamaha XT600, Kawasaki KLR 650, KTM 50
Past:
Triumph Tiger 855 (sold), Triumph Speed Triple 955 (sold), Triumph Speed Triple 1050 (sold),Yamaha IT 490 (SOLD) Triumph Tiger 1050 (sold), Honda XR200 (killed), Honda XR 500 (killed), XT600 (killed)