Advice needed - Doing a solo trip up the West Coast to the Namibia Border.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Good day fellow dogs

I'm planning on doing a 6 day solo bike trip (with a pillion) up the West Coast from 5-10 Oct and need some advise regarding some nice scenic roads to take (or to rather avoid). I'm quite a capable rider and have all the tools knowledge etc in case of a flat tyre or what ever hopefully won't happen. We will be riding on a BMW F800GS with a added 5lt fuel cell, so my fuel range will be around 400km.

All accommodation are booked and the plan is to do about 300-350km per day. Day one will be a longer stretch, but I know and have ridden most of the gravel roads from Brackenfell to Velddrif and decided to stay on the tar roads to make up some time. So basicaly from Veldrif I wild like to get of the tar and onto some nice gravel roads.

I know it is shocking to say, but I've never been up the West Coast further than Lamberts Bay and this is the reason for this trip. It is something that I've always wanted to do and there is no better time than now to do it.

Our route plan are basically as follows according the accommodation that we've book.

Day 1 - Brakenfell to Hondeklip Baai
Day 2 - Hondeklip Baai to Alexander Baai
Day 3 - Alexander Baai - Vioolsdrift ( want to go through the Richtersveld, basicaly past Kuboes and Exteensfontein)
Day 4 - Vioolsdrift to Garies (we stay on a farm somewhere between Kamieskroon and Garies)
Day 5 - Garies to Cederberg Oasis (want to go via Wuppertal and Eselbank)
Day 6 - Cederber Oasis to Brackenfell.

I've quickly plotted  a (estimate) route on Google maps and will properly do it on Basecamp on my T4A maps once I received some input from you  :3some:

I would also like to know if there are any "interesting" places to go and visit while we are in the area. Myself and my pillion are both lovers of nature and we want to explore some of the areas by foot as well. Hence the reason for the shorter riding distances per day.

Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• To Vioolsdrift.JPG
    To Vioolsdrift.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 134
  • From Vioolsdrift.JPG
    From Vioolsdrift.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 133