An adventure to the Alfie Cox weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulsky

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi All
Myself and my mate Mike are going to the Alfie weekend on the 13th and have been making all kinds of plans on how to get there from PE. Our first thought was to drive with a trailer but it's is a really kak drive through the Transkei (it's like masturbating with a cheese grater, slightly amusing but mostly painful) so we canned that idea, the next plan was to courier the bikes with Arushen Moodley from Dynamic Express and then jump on kulula and fly up (the soft option)
What we finally settled on was getting on a train with the bikes, get as close as we can and the ride the rest of the way, with this in mind we went to the PE station to see what we could sort out. (Spoornets website is of no use at all) We went to the ticket counter to buy our tickets

The plan is to go from PE on Tues 11th sep to arrive in Virginia in the Free state early on Wed morn, off load us and the bikes and ride across the top of Lesotho and and spend Wed night at the Golden gate lodge and continue on thurs to the Sierra Ranch where the weekend is being held. (I'll post a map of the route later) We would then leave Sirra ranch on Sunday and go up Sani to spend Sun night at the Katse lodge. monday would then take us to Bloem to catch the same train back on Monday evening, arriving back in PE on Tues morning.

We met Mr Claasen who was most helpful with the procurement of our passage after a small handshake.

The cost of a one way ticket is R 190 first class (whew) we bought two each so that we could have the whole 4 sleeper compartment to ourselves, the bikes are another story, R500 for a bike under 500 cc and R1000 (one way) over 500cc, luckily I have a KTM 450 V twin adventure and Mike has a GS 450 adventure. (Gonna have to do a bit of badge engineering with the old vinyl cutter).

We are going to check out the Van (where the bikes are to be transported) tomorrow and I'll post some pics then.

more to come soon as the adventure planning progresses

Die swaape gaan avontuur!

Attachments

• 31-08-07_1125.jpg
    31-08-07_1125.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 31-08-07_1154.jpg
    31-08-07_1154.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 31-08-07_1148.jpg
    31-08-07_1148.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 140