Best thing to do to any KLR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I just had my bike dyno tuned and jetted correctly on sat by Freez, and this is the report:

My bike is 2005 KLR with 5 500 km on the clock.  It was in seriously bad state.  The initial dyno read that my bike made 24 hp! which is really terrible.  On investigation,  they found that the alarm/immoboliser installed by autowatch was placed over the main airhole for the airbox, and so my bike was starving for air.  Once that was removed, the jet kit was installed, the exhaust repacked and any leaks plugged, and on to the dyno once again it went.

This time it read 31.5 hp, which is a huge improvement for a thumper.  Freez said he could get me a bit more power, and changing the needle once more, the bike got dyno'd again.  This time it read 32hp! I was so so happy.  Freez said my air age exhaust was still a bit restrictive, and if I could get a small flange removed inside the bike would make more power!! I couldn't wait to get on my bike.

The first time I opened the throttle in first, I alsmost fell off the improvement was so large.  I couldn't believe it.  Before the bike would stutter and struggle to get past 5 500 rpm, now it pulls cleanly all the way to the redline just bofore 8 000 rpm.  The improvement on the road is even more striking, with overtaking being so easy, and it goes to 160 km/h easily now, whereas before I struggled to get past 130 km/h!  And that was with that very powerful wind on sat, so I think my bike can do more.

I also can't wait to see how much my fuel consumption will improve, but I think by quite a bit.  The bike is correctly set up now for the reef, and I can recommend it enough for anyone with a KLR!!

Thanks so much to Freez, I'm one seriously happy chappy!!!
Staalburger and DB9, thanks for all your reports which made me go and do this!!

I hope Freez can post the dyno results some time, the final figures are:

power: 24hp to 32 hp,
Tourque: 26 ft - lbs to 32 ft - lbs