Go Solo or Ride with a Friend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ride Solo or with a buddy

• Always ride with a buddy

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Always let someone know the route you ride

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • It's no big deal

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Old men should not ride bikes

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters

cono

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I have just read someones ride report, which looked like a good ride with photo's posted. There was only one bike to be seen in the photo's. i'm under correction, but in the photos taken in lonely places, only one set of bike tracks can be seen.

My past best rides are mostly solo in and around area's not crossed by vehicles, but lately I have the tendancy for the most stupid reason to drop the bike onto myself. Yes, I know I'm a idiot, but it happens when you least expect it.
Recently I had a non-standard back shock put into the KLR , which raised the bike by about 2 inches. When I stopped, kicked out the side stand and dismounted going off left while still standing on the bike, it fell over onto me while busy dismounting. Luckily nothing broken or hurt, but I did cry for help as I just could not move the bike off my leg. My left leg was pinned under the bike. Thank goodness for the riding boots. Even a bigger Thank Goodness, there were other riders close by to lift the bike from my leg. Perhaps i was just too tired and/or weak to pull myself off the ground, but think, it would have taken a long time to get out under the bike.

I now wonder whether or not if i had been seriously hurt and had no-one to help, how long it would be for help to arrive.
Yes..I have a cell phone, but perhaps it was out of reach at that very moment, what could have happended.
Fact is, that perhaps some of us ride in such wild country side, that only another bike can get to us to help, that's if they actually find us.

Point is, that if we have such a great Forum, why are so many of us still riding solo, without partners for back-up in case of emergency. It's like being a SCUBA diver, the rule is clear, never, never, ever dive without a buddy.

Should we as Forum members also have a clear rule, not to never, never, ever ride without a buddy.

So...let us start the debate.