Gypsey - New & advise needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsey

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Hi Wild Dogs

I just signed up, as am planning to buy a bike and need some advise.

In the next few years my girlfriend & I are hoping to embark on becoming global gypseys.  We plan on travelling the world in a 4x4 truck motorhome and part of this setup would be to have a motorbike hoisted on the back which would be used for runarounds from a base.

Some of the different scenarios we could see this bike being used for are:
• Shopping  runs from a out of town campsite, so need to be able to carry some baggage but not excessive amounts with 2 up. We are both relatively small people, approx 60kg & 70kg respectively.
• Touring round cities were don’t want to or cant take truck into. eg Small euro cities
• Touring countryside from basecamp (maybe something like going over Alpine passes, or riding dirt roads in the area etc)

From a maintenance point of view it would be ideal if the bike is easilly maintainable in possibly remote and different types of countries so I guess a global brand would be best and/or one that the basic servicing can be done myself.  Also longish service intervals would be preferable.

With all this in mind what would the dogs recommend in terms of possible bike?  Engine type, 2 or 4 stroke, which is better?

All and any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Wannabe gypsey