KTM 690 blown engine - Which way forward?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

witblitz

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
My KTM 690's (2010) engine packed up in the Richtersveld in Dec 2020 on ~34500km.

The crank bearings went on the motor. As a result, the crank, conrod, piston, balancer shaft and barrel need replacement. The valves have been suggested to be replaced due to the other items as well. A rebuild is more than half the value of the bike if I sold it in running condition.

The bike treated me well for the 20000km that I owned it. I got to see some great places in the Western and Northern Cape so I have quite an attachment to it. It always put a smile on face when I rode it. I never upgraded the bike because I had a long range tank for it and I liked the longer suspension travel.

So I am looking for some advice if you were in my position right now as I do not have insurance that will cover me for this. It is too late to preach to me now about considering better insurance packages as the damage is done. I am looking for a way forward.

As I see it I have the following options:

1 - Pay the exorbitant bill to rebuild the motor. Going this route I would keep the bike for a few years again.
2 - Sell the bike as is. I am not sure what I would get for it.
3 - Scrap the bike and sell it as spares. I need to draw up a table to get the estimated value if I go this route.
4 - Get hold of a low mileage secondhand 690 or 701 motor from an accident damaged bike. I am actually not sure where to start to look going this route.

At this stage I am just thinking of comparing everything value wise and taking it from there.

So perhaps I can get some tips or thoughts from forum members of what you would do if you were in my shoes.