Ladies that ride pillion - please advise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grensvegter

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
When I had my previous two 990's my wife used to join me now and then, but she is joining me on most trips on the 1190 and we are thinking of upgrading her clothing a bit and this is where I need some advise from the ladies we regularly ride pillion.
Her old helmet was  a road, full face and I thought of replacing it with a DS helmet like Shoei or Arai. Our worry is that she spends a lot of time looking to the side. Does the peak add to the strain on your neck by the wind catching the peak when looking sideways.
Does the DS helmet's bigger front section bump the back of the rider's helmet more than a road helmet.

On the issue of neck braces. I have been following the threat on it and since I have had a flight in an ER24 helicopter before, I refuse to ride without one. There is many guys who buy the latest gear for themselves and then some gear from the Hyperama for their wife. I believe her gear should be as good as mine and would like to get a brace for her as well. The question is whether there is pillions who ride with a brace as well and what is their experience.

If I can share our experience on the 1190 R. We replaced the seat with the power parts seats and it is very comfortable. We can ride a few hundred kilometers easy. I also bought some aftermarket pegs for her as she felt insecure on the rubber ones when standing off road.
We are yet to test these off road but will see.