Let's talk KTM Duke 390

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bivouac

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I recently bought a Suzuki GSX 150 SF as a daily commuter, as the price, fuel economy, reviews etc, just made sense..

Lovely little bike, and perfect for the 70km round trip to work and back every day. It does exactly what I expected it to do.

That was until I saw the Duke 200 for around the same price (after I bought the Suzuki), and I wanted to kick myself for never even considering KTM. Not once.. Since I can remember, people have been talking about KTM as an unreliable, high maintenance bike which will cost you an arm and a leg for parts.

It's been around 3 weeks now, browsing local dealer websites, reading reviews and watching Youtube videos, and I just cannot get this out of my mind.. I came home tonight, and chatted to my wife about my little fantasy once again, and her response was to just go one up from what I want, and get the 390.. (Only Roodepoort branchhad the 200 anyway..)

This brings me to the main reason for starting this thread - From personal experience, can anybody convince me not to buy the 390?

How is the maintenance and reliability really?
Are the services much more expensive than other brands?
How is the fuel economy? (Real life - not review and dealer specs)
Has anyone had overheating problems, and will it manage on long trips?

These are just a couple of the millions of questions in my head at the moment and as you've gathered, I just want general opinions so I can make an informed decision, or lay this to rest.
So fire away with the pro's and cons....  :thumleft: