Lifting links

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew-l

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
There has been much discussion on the pros and cons of changing the rear ride height of the S10 by changing the rear suspension links (also known as 'dogbones').

I have always found the S10 rear to be a bit low for me especially when riding two up with luggage - even adjusting the spring preload up to max is not enough to sort the problem (I am 108kg without kit). I also found the steering to be a bit to slow and that it was easy to drag the pegs on the road when you weren't expecting to.  I made up some new links for a 20mm lift (I heard that the higher lifts tend to make the S10 unstable) and fitted them. Wow - the difference is impressive! The bike feels level instead of ass down, the steering has sped up a bit (not enough for any instability issues), and I can now reduce the spring preload by a line and still have the same suspension hardness (perhaps the shorter links have changed the spring / wheel ratio slightly effectively making the spring stiffer?).

Overall I am very happy with the mod  - definitely worthwhile for those that often ride loaded up or are on the 'larger' side  ;)