No. Helmets are not just a safety item

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsterza

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So I have always been of the opinion that you can get away with the cheapest helmet that is safe and aside from looking cool they really don't change your experience that much, so spend as much of your money on the bike and just make sure you have enough for the rest of the gear to keep you safe.
Until I recently purchased an Arai profile V to replace my shark D-Skwal.

So first use, I put the helmet on first  before getting the bike ready so it doesn't touch the dirty floor :biggrin:(I know in the back of my head it wont always stay newI). I take the bike cover off, turn the big girl around, all quite a process. I finally get on the bike and I actually double check that I have a helmet on because I cant feel the thing on my head(I think its down to the arai shape), no weight in one direction when you bend over that reminds you that the helmet is there, nothing. The second thing is you don't see any part of the helmet in your peripherals, and thirdly its Sooo comfy...
So I actually start riding and again if it weren't for the wind noise, I would not know that I had the thing on, even the visor is clear, in comparison to my old lid it's 4K ;D .

So if you are looking at that expensive lid wandering will it change anything the answer is YES it changes the whole experience.