OMG I'm in love with the 1190 R & even more now shes not a dirt virgin...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GG

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
Ok collected it yesterday from Alfie Cox....in KZN pissing with rain.. When i say pissing you have no idea! AND 570 km's later OMG what a flipping machine, comfortable, fast, fast fast,fast...let me get back to this!

Let me start by saying I am a shit rider, but i have  a reasonable amount of experience having done 105 000 km's on my 1200ADV, about half with my wife Sue on the back. And about half hard offroad.. have a look at some of my posts and the pictures will explain where my beloved Monster GSA has been ..which is why I have a 21 inch front etc.. So even though this is not a normal GSA and I own a 690 which I have ridden a lot offroad up till now i have been Bm befok!

So to put it mildly I have a high expectation! I head to KZN more jags than a jagsluiperd, I think Alfie had more pressure from me than a Dakar event ;-)

So my concerns about the KTM are simple, pretty sure it will be ok offroad but having ridden a 950 fairly extensively and owned a 640 and a 690 have some serious doubts about its touring capability..

I don't want to end up in superlatives so I will start with them,
- its so fucking fast I could not believe it.... from 120 kmh to 200 happens in a blink, but in a smooth casual blink,
- Its so fucking fast that an amg 63 e series tried me for a few seconds down the N3 and I so blitzed him that it was a joke,
- so how does it cruise... 500 km's of comfy seating and apparently I have the hard seat compared to the 1190 adventure! amazing for a KTM and as comfy as my GSA! I did not stop in my trip and it was comfy. And it cruises, not high revving uncomfortable cruising, like a tourer better than the GSA.
- fuck its fast
- its light, it flicks around on a dirt road easier than my 690...
- fuck its fast
- did I say it feels amazingly light!
- fuck its fast
- I swear they borrowed the brakes and suspension from BMW
- Fuck its fast
- And its got this tiny screen, I'm 1.89 m and i sat comfortably ... amazing but I want to test the high screen anyway
- Did I say anything about how fast it is?
- Ja its got all the electronic shit but who gives a fuck, its the spirit of the thing that makes my heart sing!
- Man its fast, guys be careful,
- with the ridiculously absurd conti slicks it comes with I took my 9 year old for a spin on gravel, ok yes gravel highway but man it does not shake its head or shake its butt and it happily slides through corners! And I was throwing it about a little,
- did i say anything about how fast and comfy it is?

Ok on a serious note I wasn't sure about the looks, but in the flesh, Oh shit I think i messed!!!!!!

Man Man Man ... what can I say, this thing is wild, its light, its hot, I don't ride like a pro but this machine makes me want to travel 100 000 km's of tar and come back on 100 000 km's of gravel! FAST!

Tomorrow I'm going on a short slow ride .......YEAH FUCKING RIGHT!