Riding a good line

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growweblaar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
While we wait for Wes to do the official 'Cape Noobie' ride report, I'll comment on one aspect of the ride...

This was my first real ride on a 'big' bike. I rode a Vespa ET4 (automatic) for 3 years, then did my full license on a rented Kawa ER5. I got the Dakar 1 month ago, but have only really pottered around town.

So, this ride saw me doing three new things:

1. Dirt
2. Extended "groot pad" at +- highway speeds
3. Mountain passes

I really enjoyed the dirt! We weren't exactly steeking it, but I can say that I reached 100 km/h. Man, am I impressed with my bikes ability to flatten a rough dirt section - you just weight the pegs, open up and grin :D (I did manage to bottom out the shocks on one or two occasions, but I think I had the preload set too soft).

My worst performance was on the twisty tar bits, where my confidence was lacking. I try to set up the corner properly, but then I find I slow down too much, lean to little, apex too quickly, etc. The only bit I do well (I think!) is to power out when I see it straightening :p.

Going up Bains Kloof was an exhilirating - if slightly hair-raising - experience 8). I've only done that road a few times in a car, and that was a long time ago, so I think that didn't help. I kept thinking: "What if this bend's radius decreases even further behind that rock slab...?" :?. Even at my hesitant pace I managed to over-cook one corner :shock:.

Obviously, I was last going up the pass, and I was just trying to keep up with Wes - who had a pillion and still managed to stay in front of me :evil:. But it was great fun, nonetheless: almost like skiing, just faster and more dangerous :D. I didn't realise what a workout you get doing a mountain pass :wink:.

On the way down I tried to stay behind mountainboy (F650GS), but I kept losing him. He made it look so effortless.

Anyway, as Mark said, it's just practice. I hope :).