Tube for Tubeless Tire ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bees

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Howzit Guys,

I'd like to get some of your opinions on a matter that a friend and I were discussing.
We went on a trip now and I thought that maybe it would be a good idea to take a tire tube along (even thought we both ride with tubeless tires, 1150 GS and 1200 GS).

My reason, what happens if your on some remote spot and you get a cut in the tire which cannot be fixed with plugs ? I mentioned this to a guy at BMW and he said, no don't do it, I asked why and he was more worried that we'll not be able to take the tire of the rim than actually giving me advice about why the tube will not work.

My friend had to replace his tire before the trip and he mentioned the tube idea to the guy changing the tire and he also said no you'll stuff the rim up and what not...but nobody could actually explain why ?
We can't think of a reason why this is a bad idea ? and its not a permanent thing but mainly as a backup.
But in the end we didn't take a tube, the tube is also heavy and takes up alot of space, especially if you have pillions.

So guess what happend...
I got a cut in my tire on our way back home which we could not fix with plugs, the cut was so bad that the tire rope(the internals of the tire) was cut and was sticking out.

Lucky we were not to far from help, so we plugged it the best we could, he then drove to get one of those tire fix cans stuff, we crossed our fingers that it would inflate, and by some miracle it worked, which at least could take me to the nearest garage where we had to arrange for a bakkie to come and help, check the picks (sorry for the bad quality)

your opinion/experience/knowledge ? tube, no tube ? bad idea ? why ?

tire2.png

tire1.png