Urgent: Please help with our route planning - Nam, Falls and Botswana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happyfeet

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I know this is a bit late in the day, as we are almost ready to leave, but we've made sudden changes and now not sure if it can be done by bike and if there might be complications. We will get to Windhoek with a car and trailer to save time.

1. Can we go from Windhoek directly to Botswana (via Ghanzi?) to Maun? If so, what are the roads like? Looks like a main road?
2. From Maun to Vic Falls? Rather Vic falls in Zim or Livingston in Zambia? Problems travelling in Zim - or their borders?
3. I know the Caprivi is tarred. Is it a nice ride and how long would you advise we put aside to do it? Don't want to rush through it if it's lovely, but would also not want to spend too much time there and miss out on nicer things in different places.
4. What range for fuel? (I can do between 220 - 250km without extra fuel)
5. Ultimately we would like to do dirt roads, but not sand. Where can we get off the tar and do good gravel roads on these stretches?
6. Any complications regarding bikes and having to go through Game reserves?
7. What would YOU advise if you had about 8 or 9 days from Windhoek, circular north(ish) and back again? Skip Botswana and backtrack the Caprivi again?
8. Any campsite you really liked (Botswana, Caprivi etc)?

Additional questions:
a. What is the fascination with Brandberg and should we try and fit it in?
b. Same with the Namibian Dead sea?
c. Malaria and this time of the year
d. I'm assuming we don't need visa's anywhere?

We have (previously) done a bit of the south of Namibia and LOVED it. I know there is plenty more to see. Would like to spend 5 days or so doing that (and Spitzkoppe). Should we rather spend more time in the south or use most of our time in the north incl Caprivi, Botswana and Vic Falls. (probably not get there again too soon!)?

Any advice would be appreciated.  :)