Very Expensive R1150GS paperweight - bike not running

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GKellerman

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
So I have been without my 1150GS since December after a fair bit of gravel travel. First the starter started making a noise, then the RID display started dissapearing and after that the bike started when it was cold and did not want to start when it was hot. Starter was taken out and given a full service.I had the bike serviced by an ex BMW technician (no names mentioned). Throttle bodies were syncronised, cables were adjusted, regular servicing was carried out. I collected the bike and all was well until I did a longer trip again and tried starting it after it was warmed up from the ride and again......no start! Me and fellow 1150GS enthusiast started tinkering and found that my spray pattern from the injector did not correspond to his that is spraying on every stroke. Mine only sprayed once I released the started button and only 1 tiny spray. Took it back to said mechanic after which he assessed the injectors and did a whole cleaning process. Same thing after I collected. Starts nice when it's cold but not once it's warmed up.

I booked it in with BMW dealers and as luck would have it upon booking in, it was nice and warmed up for them so it would not start and was just coughing along with no luck. They had the bike fot 2 days after which they said they adjusted throttle bodies again as well as valve clearances and everything should be right as they did some trips to have it warmed up nicely and started every time afterwards. Started nicely upon collection, but when I arrived home and started again it started.......for about 5 times in succession after which it started it's familiar coughing again. Took it to a 3rd party ex-BMW bike mechanic where he just about checked everything.........hall sensor, spark plugs, injectors, general wiring, fuel filter, fuel pump, etc....... Even he has given up now as according to his knowledge he has checked almost everything that could go wrong with the PIG............he managed to get it started and it ran on one cylinder for a while and the next day, no luck again...........he suspects it could be a wiring or electrical issue...........

Krogg has had his hands on the RID in the meantime and managed to get that fixed, so at least there is a little light at the end of the tunnel..........

Any suggestions or recommendations what steps I should take next or should I just advertise as a very nice novelty paperweight or doorstopper.........and give up all hope of the PIG ever riding again.........

I was planning on some nice trips this weekend, but at this moment that only seems like a dream...........