How to sell my bike the right and safe way?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Assagai

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Hi all

I have enjoyed my GS650F for two years (my first bike which I bought myself) but due to other hobbies taking up too much time and money I am forced to sell it. My only problem is that I do not know how to sell my bike as I have heard many scary stories of transactions going bad.

Before I get to my questions, here is a bit of information on my bike:

Model: GS 650F
Year: 2004
Colour: Yellow (previous owner sprayed it yellow but it is registered as a silver bike) with no decals
Kilometres: 35804 km
Extras: No extras
Condition: Good

Now for the questions, I need advice on the following:

Price:

How do you price your bike? My insurance has valued my bike at a certain amount; do I use this as a starting point? OR should I compare the prices and availability on the internet? I do not want to go to a dealer as I have heard that they will always offer you the lowest price possible. Should I make a secondary price which I can use for bargaining (making the buyer think he is winning)?

Reporting any “niggles”:

I have noticed that in general people do not report all niggles a bike has, for example a missing screw in one of the panels. I find this to be dishonest, but I also understand that you should make a sale as attractive as possible. Where does one draw the line?

Meeting a potential buyer:

I have heard that there has been instances where a potential buyer test drives a bike only to drive off with it or ends up in an accident, leaving you with a raw deal. How does one protect yourself but provide a potential buyer to test drive your bike?

Making the transaction:

Is it true that people can make a payment to only “retract” the money at a later stage? Is there a “grace” period where the money must be in your account before handing over the bike?

Your assistance will be much appreciated.